The Cyprus Computer Society, the Technical Chamber of Cyprus (ETEK) and the University of Nicosia participated in the European funded project Be Wiser dealing with the issue of wireless and internet security in European countries.
Be Wiser examined organisation and technical research challenges in some of Europe’s best known RTD regions. The technology focus was on wireless internet security; while the organisational challenge was to more effectively utilise Triple Helix clusters in regional innovation processes. This approach strengthened Europe’s position in wireless rollout and address the challenges set out in the Digital Agenda.
With the rapid expansion in wireless-based devices, many undertaking complex and often highly confidential transactions, the security of data transmission is increasingly important as trillions of objects are connected via the Internet of Things.
The need for fully secure systems cannot be overstated in retaining the confidence of all users and to balance the requirements of Citizens, Government and Enterprises in terms of their privacy and security needs.
The clusters involved in this project are both central and peripheral and have strong technological complementary skills and experience – they have varying levels of organisational sophistication in terms of how they manage their innovation processes and recognise the potential to mentor each other while working collaboratively on RTD challenges.
- Analysed the regions involved and the sector addressed via triple helix clusters bringing Policy Makers, Researchers and Enterprises together to focus on innovation processes and RTD;
- Developed a JAP and developed smart specialisation strategies and identify further research and product opportunities as part of broader economic development strategies ;
- Delivered tangible outputs that will enhance the competitiveness of the clusters,
- Sought new market opportunities for regional enterprises, especially SMEs;
- Mentored all partner regions on technology, business and clustering themes;
- Developed a sustainable business and resourcing plan.
- Funding source: This project has received funding from the European Union’s Seventh Framework Programme for research, technological development and demonstration under grant agreement no 319907
- Project Title: Building Enterprises – Wireless and Internet Security in European Regions
- Acronym: Be Wiser
- Project code: FP7-REGIONS/319907
- Duration: 36 months
- 01 July 2013 - 30 June 2016
- Total Budget: € 3.298.310,06
- CCS Budget: € 157.913,81
- Coordinator: SYSTEM@TIC PARIS REGION
- Project Partners
- Fundacio Privada Barcelona Digital Centre Tecnologic, Spain
- Momentum ICT Federation Ltd, UK
- The Queen's University of Belfast, UK
- Invest Nothern Ireland, UK
- Cork Institute of Technology, Ireland
- IT@Cork Association Limited, Ireland
- South-West Regional Authority, Ireland
- CyberForum EV, Germany
- Fundacio Eurecat, Spain
- Zavod Tehnoloska Mreza ICT, Slovenia
- Cyprus Computer Society, Cyprus
- Inno AG, Germany
- Cork County Council, Ireland